Part-Time Farm Educator and Community Liaison, NYC Compost Project
Queens Botanical Garden (QBG) in partnership with the DSNY’s NYC Compost Project is hiring a Farm Educator and Community Liaison for the Community, Crops and Compost (CCC) Initiative at QBG. CCC, located in QBG’s arboretum, is a multifaceted sustainable farm around which a number of educational and participatory activities will take place.
Activities will focus on local needs and raise community and visitor awareness about the relationship between food waste, composting, healthy soil production and sustainable food production. The site features a farm-based composting operation as well as food waste drop-off opportunities for NYC residents. This position will be responsible for various aspects of the CCC initiative, including but not limited to:
- Assisting the Farm Manager with all operations of a working farm including planting, weeding, cultivating, propagating, irrigating, harvesting, composting etc.
- Organizing and arranging educational visits to CCC including developing curriculum for visiting groups of varying abilities and ages during all seasons
- Assisting with the development and delivery of other programs which may include: school-based tours, Green Teens, Community Supported Agriculture program and Farmers Market sales and food scrap drop-off program
- Developing partnerships with local and agriculture-based organizations including schools
- Keeping detailed records and tracking outcomes as outlined in CCC project plan
- Attending community meetings as needed
- High school diploma
- One full season of experience on a small farm or intensively managed garden
- Knowledge of farm or vegetable & herb production and experience as an educator on a farm or in an outdoor venue
- Aptitude for writing curricula for various ages and abilities
- Positive attitude and good work ethic
- Excellent customer service skills
- Passion for sustainable agriculture
- Local and community oriented with excellent communication skills
- Adaptable and flexible to dynamic conditions
- Ability to perform physical outdoor jobs in all weather
- Administrative experience preferred
- Computer skills (word processing, database, spreadsheet, etc.)
- Valid Driver’s License.
The qualified candidate for this position will bring a mix of the energy, adaptability, judgment, coaching, communication and critical thinking skills and a “roll up the sleeves” attitude towards their work. This part-time position is approximately 25 hours per week from March to To apply, qualified candidates should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.