New Species of Terrifying Tomato Appears to Bleed (love this…great for students!)
GROW NYC Governor’s Island Teaching Garden Field Trip Request Form
Sustainable Societies Academy™
Date: August 15 – 19
Time: 9:00 AM – 3:30 PM
Grades: Rising 9th to 12th Grade Students
Poly Prep, through partnership with Sustainability Curriculum Consortium™, is hosting Sustainable Societies Academy™ (SSA). SSA provides highly motivated rising high school students with an engaging introduction to and preparation for further studies in sustainability. During this intensive 5-day session led by faculty and leading professionals from Penn, Harvard, CUNY, and other universities, students will learn the basic concepts and principles of sustainability through college-level presentations, small group discussion, interactive workshops, and site visits.
From the acclaimed Global Sustainable Societies™ curriculum, engineered by Environic Foundation International® (EFI), students will engage in extensive study and practice in human settlements, climate, water, and decision-making. Upon completion of the 5-day program, which includes summer-long access to the online EFI modules, SSA students will achieve the following:
• Understand sustainability issues;
• Understand the interdependencies among the issues;
• Know strategies which can be used to tackle sustainability challenges;
• Know how to analyze the practicality of proposed strategies;
• Know what it takes to build sustainable strategies yourself.
Prior to arrival to Poly Prep’s campus, students are expected to complete a self-paced module and prep assignment to ensure a baseline level of readiness for the Academy’s programming.
By the end of the program, SSA students will be equipped to integrate their interests and concerns to develop solutions to social, economic, and environmental sustainability challenges in their own communities.
Who is this good for?
The program is right for any rising high school student in the New York City metro area who is a highly motivated/self-starter and who is interested in sustainability, environmental studies, urban planning, climate change, civil engineering, architecture, social justice, and more.
If you have any questions, please contact:
Brian Filiatraut, Director of Sustainability
(718) 836-9800, Ext. 3120
• Apply Online Now at: http://www.polyprep.org/page/News–Calendar/Sustainable-Societies-Academy
• Teacher/Mentor Recommendation Form
How to Apply:
• Complete the online application and ask teacher/mentor to submit a recommendation. Both are due by Thursday, June 23.
• Expect notification of your applicant status by Monday, June 27.
• Accepted students must submit completed registration forms and full payment ($550) by Friday, July 1.
• Expect access to program materials following process of student registration and payment.
Round-trip bus service from Manhattan and Brooklyn is provided through DiMino Bus Service, Inc. Please click here and scroll to “Bus Service for Specialty Campers” for more information.
Below is a growing list of professors and sustainability professionals who will lead a portion of Sustainable Societies Academy programming:
• Ira Feldman – University of Pennsylvania
• Jess Gerrior – Sustainability Curriculum Consortium
• William Godfrey – Virginia Commonwealth University; Environic Foundation International
• Robert Pojasek – Harvard University
• George Smith – CUNY, City College of New York
• Jaime Stein – Pratt Institute
• Ashwani Vasishth – Ramapo College of New Jersey