Director of Education, Education Outside (this one is in California…but it is so cool, I thought maybe it would interest friends or perhaps you are interested in a move?)
Food Educator to Work with Elementary School Age Children in New York City
Spoons Across America, <http://www.spoonsacrossamerica.org> ® the recipe for healthier children, is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to educating children, teachers, and families about the benefits of healthy eating. We work to influence the eating habits of children through hands-on education that celebrates the connection to local farmers and the important tradition of sharing meals around the family table.
We are currently seeking an organized, engaging, and self- motivated team player to join our team as a Food Educator. Primary duties include working directly with children ages 6-10 in schools and community centers to implement our food and nutrition literacy based programs. Additional office responsibilities focusing on planning and implementation of programs are also included.
– Work with schools/sites:
● Plan for and lead hands-on lessons and activities around taste exploration, healthy cooking, and nutrition to elementary aged children in schools and community centers.
● Work with children to make discoveries and facilitate discussion and interaction
● Support children with kitchen skills and safety in food preparation
● Work with parents/families during family engagement sessions
● Set up and clean up all materials.
● Communicate and work with volunteers as required
● Shop/purchase fresh food for classroom lessons (for reimbursement) as needed.
– In the office:
● Prepare program materials for distribution to program sites
● Assist in preparation of volunteer and curriculum materials for trainings and workshops
● Keep school records current
● Maintain regular communication with Director of Programs regarding program implementation, outcomes, and volunteers
● Attend regular staff meetings, trainings and workshops as needed
● Participate in ongoing evaluation of programming
● Work with social media and communications coordinator to promote program and outcomes.
● Complete other duties as assigned
● Demonstrate genuine passion and enthusiasm for the mission of Spoons Across America.
● Possess a love for working with children, with at least 1-2 years of demonstrated teaching experience.
● Superb communication and classroom management skills.
● Highly organized, responsible, dependable, flexible, patient and detail-oriented.
● Ability to work independently and as part of a team. Ability to work well with staff, teachers, interns, and volunteers to promote the mission of Spoons Across America
● Dynamic personality with good sense of humor and appreciation for education and healthy, local food.
● Computer proficiency, including Microsoft Office and Google Calendar/Docs
Time Commitment and Location:
● 20 hours per week (Monday-Friday)
o Approximately 10 hours of direct teaching and/or prep in schools across NYC
o Approximately 10 hours in office (located in midtown Manhattan)
To apply: Please send a resume and cover letter, expressing your experience working with youth and interest in food and education to email@example.com <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org> <mailto:email@example.com>