The QUEENS COUNTY FARM MUSEUM
The Queens County Farm Museum is a 47-acre working farm dating back to 1697. We are a nonprofit public resource, visited by over 400,000 people each year. The site includes a landmark farmhouse, glass greenhouse, and restored barns which give us a glimpse into our agrarian past. Its rich glacial soil–which attracted European settlers in the 17th century–is cultivated today using sustainable practices, providing people with the freshest food. We are a New York City treasure where historic structures, productive fields, woodland, and livestock bring agricultural history to life.
Job Description: Farm Manager
Queens Farm is seeking a Farm Manager. Supervised by the Director, the Farm Manager will help run all aspects of the Agriculture Department, which include three acres of diversified market produce and flowers, markets, livestock, compost, perennial gardens, value added products and seasonal farm staff. This position will begin in February 2017.
Applicants should be passionate about developing their career as a farmer. Preference will be given to applicants with experience managing small farm operations. Positive attitude, strong commitment and physical effort are required, and solid organizational skills are essential. Additional prerequisites include: ability to spearhead projects, problem solve, and work independently, as well as to lead a crew. Queens Farm is a public farm in the most diverse county in the country, so exceptional interpersonal skills are important.
Skills & Qualifications
– At least 3 years of farming (with at least 1 year of management)
– Tractor experience, as well as ability to use and maintain string trimmer, flame weeder, brush mower
– Understanding of drip irrigation systems and supplies
– Crop planning, crop rotation, propagation and greenhouse management know-how
– Farmer’s Market skills (post-harvest handling, presentation, quick math, customer service)
– Experience caring for livestock is a plus
– Exceptional leadership qualities
– Patience, flexibility, strong communication and interpersonal skills
– Self-motivation; Ability to anticipate tasks and projects
– Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail, systems, time management, and prioritization
– Experience dealing with the public in polite, professional manner
– Ability to lift at least 50 pounds and to be outside in adverse weather conditions
Hours & Compensation
40 hours/week. Hourly rate will be determined based upon experience. At least one weekend day per week required.
Please send cover letter and resume to Director of Agriculture, Jen Griffith: email@example.com.
Applications due on a rolling basis by Feb 1 – Decisions may be made sooner than that.
Great Performances is New York City’s premier catering, event, and food service company. In 2006, we purchased 60 never-before-farmed acres in Kinderhook, NY to create Katchkie Farm. There, we grow over 230 different varieties of organic vegetables to sell to our 600-member workplace CSA program and the Great Performances catering kitchen and cafes.
The Sustainability Connector acts as the key liaison between Katchkie Farm and Great Performances, as well as an ambassador for the Farm’s mission and brand. In addition to managing the Farm’s sales, marketing, and NYC operations, the Connector is a spokesperson representing the Farm and the company’s mission in various settings, from fields to skyscrapers.
Key responsibilities include:
Market, sell and coordinate the CSA program, including add-ons.
Create and publish content for CSA newsletters.
Manage and staff seasonal Greenmarket at Rockefeller Center, with possibility of market expansion.
Community management: maintain social media accounts, build photographic library, and collaborate with GP marketing team to grow the Katchkie Farm brand.
Manage value-added and preserved products.
Train GP coworkers about the Farm’s activities and model.
Coordinate in-office sustainability, including e-waste management and Green Team facilitation.
Assist with special events on the Farm.
– BA with 1-3 years’ work experience in related field preferred
– Valid driver’s license and familiarity with driving in NYC and NY State
– Food fluency and passion
– Work well under pressure
– Highly organized, detail-oriented, and independent worker
– Able to repeatedly lift 50 lbs
– Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with clients and co-workers
– Experienced and enthusiastic salesperson
– Familiar with social media, Microsoft Office, MailChimp, WordPress, and Member Assembler
– Available to work 40+ hours weekly, with some night and weekend availability
Email your resume and cover letter with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate “Sustainability Coordinator” in the subject line.